Fox Grove Overall Development Plan Approval and Annexation
Fox Grove background
Fox Grove is a proposed residential development on about 36 acres south of where Carriage Parkway is blocked off and west of the green space behind Brumby Lane. Carriage Parkway will be the only entrance into Fox Grove until Carriage is extended to Prospect Road to the south. The original plan was for single family, duplex, triplex and condo units and there was very little open space. The HOA Board strongly opposed the original plan and asked for lower density and more open space. Eventually the City planning staff supported the same and the developer submitted a revised plan with single family homes only and more open space.
When the Fox Grove development was first proposed, the HOA Board began to dig into the possibility of annexation into Fort Collins. The original plan was that we would be annexed into Fort Collins, but Fort Collins and Timnath reached an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) in 2009 which placed us in Timnath’s Growth Management Area (GMA). The HOA Board circulated a petition within Clydesdale Park and 257 residents and lot owners signed it requesting annexation into Fort Collins. The Board formally requested annexation. Fort Collins and Timnath reopened their IGA and at least in draft form Clydesdale Park is back in the Fort Collins GMA. Fort Collins officials have said they will proceed with our annexation once that amended IGA is final. The annexation process generally takes about three months once it begins.
Update as of September 21, 2014:
1. Fox Grove Project Development Plan: Hearing on Oct 1 at 5:00 at 281 North College. Since the plan includes the major items which the HOA Board asked for, e.g. only single family houses and more open space, the HOA Board will speak in favor of the plan.
2. Planning and Zoning Board: The Board voted unanimously to recommend to City Council that Clydesdale Park be annexed.
3. City's Water Board: The HOA Board requested support for a phase in of the storm water utility fee upon annexation to offset the transfer of our $80,000 PID fund balance to the City when we are annexed. The Water Board recommended to City Council that the storm water utility fee NOT be use to offset the PID transfer, but that the City find some other way to compensate Clydesdale Park for that transfer.
4. City Council hearings on annexation: City Council will do a 1st reading of our annexation request on Oct 7
at City Hall on West LaPorte. Our request for some form of compensation for the PID fund transfer will be on the table along with our annexation request. City Council will do a second reading of our annexation on Oct 21st
Update as of September 5, 2014:
Initiating resolution approved by City Council:
On September 2nd City Council unanimously approved an ‘initiating resolution’ which starts the formal process to consider our annexation request. Attached is the letter we recently sent to the Mayor of Fort Collins requesting annexation and a phase-in of our storm water utility fee.
Planning and Zoning Board Hearing:
The Planning and Zoning Board will consider our annexation and storm water fee phase in requests at a September 11th hearing. The P&B Board does not decide on either issue, but does make a recommendation to the City Council. Attached are two letters to the P&Z Board. The HOA Board will be present at the hearing to speak for our requests.
Subsequent City Council Readings:City Council is scheduled to do a first reading of our annexation request on October 11th which is likely to be the most substantive treatment of the requests. A second reading is scheduled for October 21st. If all goes well, final annexation decisions will be made at that second reading. The HOA Board will be present to speak in favor of our requests at both readings.
Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA):
City Council unanimously approved the amended IGA between Fort Collins and Timnath at the first reading on September 2nd. The amended IGA places Clydesdale Park back into the Fort Collins Growth Management Area, where it has always been in the agreement between the City and Larimer County. The HOA Board spoke in favor of the amended IGA at the September 2nd reading. A final IGA amendment will remove a potential roadblock to our annexation.
Thanks to City Staff:
Several Fort Collins staff have been particularly helpful in our annexation efforts. The Board especially appreciates Karen Cumbo, Laurie Kadrich, and Jason Holland for their professional and positive responses to our requests.
Update as of June 9, 2014:
1. Restart annexation process: Fort collins, with the agreement of Timnath and Larimer County, has restarted our annexation process even though the amended Inter Government Agreement between Timnath and Fort Collins has not been finalized. We continue to hope that our annexation can be completed before the final Fox Grove decisions are on the table.
2. New schedule: The new schedule for steps of the annexation process has been set (see FoxGrove Draft Timeline Schedule link below). If the schedule holds, final approval would occur in Mid-October.
3. Q&A's: The HOA Board forwarded several questions about annexation that we have heard from Members. Jason Holland, the city planner working on our annexation, did an exceptional job of getting written answers to those questions (see link on Q&A's below). We very much appreciate Jason's excellent work in providing us this information.
4. Future hearing dates: Be on the lookout for hearing dates before the City of Fort Collins Planning and Zoning Board and the City Council concerning our request.
From everything the Board has seen to date, we continue to be cautiously optimistic about our annexation prospects.
Update as of April, 2014:
Fox Grove Overall Development Plan (ODP) Approved
The Planning and Zoning Board approved the proposed ODP on Thursday, April 10th. This included approval for modifications to the land use code that reduces housing density and increases open space by a reduction in density to 3 homes per acre, permitting single family homes within ¼ of I25, and permitting single family homes throughout. Thank you for those of you who wrote letters, attended the hearing, and yielded time to the HOA Board to make our case. Hopefully the Project Development Plan will look like the concept plan we saw earlier. We were not successful in getting a separate entrance for construction vehicles, but were successful at pointing out the importance of safety and sediment controls when construction vehicles do use Carriage Parkway in the future.
Annexation is still on hold
Questions? contact the Executive Board at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are some documents regarding the Fox Grove ODP Approval and Annexation. (These were also e-mailed to all Homeowners. If you want to be on the e-mail list, contact the Executive Board.)
June 2014 City of Fort Collins Q&A
June 2014 City of Fort Collins FoxGove Draft Time Line
Fox Grove Concept Plan - 2014-02-14
Tax and Services Brief on Consequence of Annexation - 2013-08-30
Growth Management Area Letter to FC Mayor - 2013-07-21
Overall Development Plan Condition Letter to FC Mayor - 2014-03-27
Talking Points for P&Z Board ODP Meeting - 2014-04-18
HOA Petition Letter to FC Mayor re Annexation - 2013-10-15
Letter to City of FC P&Z re: Rationale for Annexing - 2014-06-14
Letter to City of FC P&Z re: Rationale for Phase in of Stormwater Fee
Letter to FC Mayor re: Annexation and Stormwater Fee 2013-08-13